Don't be tempted by the shiny apple... Part II

And just when I thought that it was safe to enter the water, and a customer comes with SONY Mobile, asking me to download and recover his images from this defunct & busted mobile piece of junk (from the phone's built-in memory).

I told him that I don't deal with mobile phones, but he was adamant, that I should, because he does not trust anybody else.

Apparently, the mobile can still be connected and charged from the PC's USB cable... Only problem, the device was not recognised. A scour round the internet told me that I needed to install the SONY - Media Go suite, AND I WISH I DIDN'T!...

If you thought APPLE'S iTunes & iPod combo are bad, then you clearly haven't used the SONY - Media Go.  This program seems to have tentacles, spreading like a VIRUS across your hard drive, with over 2680+ Registry entries, automatically loading and automatically re-installing itself if it does not detect it's icon or short-cut on the desktop, or if you decide to un-install it or stop it from loading at runtime, with no amount of effort managing the feat of removing this humongous & behemoth piece of spyware crap...

With the only way possible, being a 4 way pronged, and simultaneous, attack:

[1] Add and Remove Program...

[2] Registry Editor - Remove every Sony / Media Go Entry.

[3] Search and physically delete every SONY folder and it's contents & Media Go folders.

[4] Delete the local installer.  "27d949.msi"

Reboot and hope for the best, and your computer will feel better, faster, leaner, meaner and love you for it...

When will software developers learn that BIGGER & more complex is not always better - Software should not be measured by weight, size or complexity...

So bye, bye SONY Media Go Go...

No comments:

Post a Comment