I hate Browser Toolbars

I hate Incredibar, I hate Babylon toolbar and I hate every other crappy toolbar on the planet.  I just installed an update to a program that resided on my PC for over a year; and I made the mistake of not reading or questioning the installation, so I just clicked, next, next, finish and trusted the vendors.

However; this managed to install original software plus, the Incredibar, the Babylon toolbar and a third party toolbar; it changed my home page and my search providers and started redirecting browser pages to God knows where; without even asking me.

I removed all toolbars and reset IE to its original factory settings; and I removed all Firefox toolbars / add-ons and reset my search providers / home page. 

And to make sure that all entries all deleted; I cleared all the cache; emptied all temporary folders; removed all keys from the registry and installed Spybot Search & Destroy, to finish the job and to remove all traces of those toolbars.

So guess what Spybot S&D hint of the day was:-


Hint of the Day:
Caution! Products from Trend Micro or McAfee might be regarded as malware!

According to the the antispyware coalition's definition, programs, such as McAfee and Trend Micro might be considered Spyware and / or PUPS, which it defines as: "Technologies [...] implemented in ways that impair user control over [...] Material changes that affect their [...] system security;"

I always suspected that, and if it wasn't true; then I'm sure that some, slick, expensive corporate lawyers would have sued the pants off S&D.

No comments:

Post a Comment