Read them and WEP...

Today I visited one of my customers to sort out a little software matter., and while I was there, and as per usual, everybody started telling me about their PC problems, and my obligation to fix every faulty, bastard, computer on the face of the planet, FREE OF CHARGE, just because I happen to know how, why, what, where and when...

So when I finished my job, and as per usual, the Bastards started gathering around me, like shit on a blanket, each with a more bizarre request that the next. And then, the BIG BOSS came and asked me whether I can setup his new Talk-Talk Wireless Router, which he and his circle if merry men, tried to setup, but failed, and since, I did sort the original BT Wireless router, then I was the messiah of all routers, and I can conquer that router as well...

So I took the router out of the box, connected everything, searched for the SSID within the list of available wireless network(s) , and guess what, I couldn't find the bloody thing... So we enter the IP address for the router in the browser windows, enter the user name and password, change the Channel to 11, and other bits, but sadly, still no joy. Then, I tried to use the supplied CD, this seemed to work, up-to a point, but then it gets stuck in a loop, unable to detect the bloody wireless network... So I bit the bullet and called the Talk-Talk helpline, and after me telling them the story and some deliberation, the person on the other end of the line told me to change the Channel to 9 (because it's one of only 3 channels that they recommend users to use), and also to change the security to an open 64bit WEP encryption, which meant that the password needed to be 10 characters in length, so I used the man's telephone number as the password, and law and behold, the laptop managed to detect the network... I mentioned security to the man, but he said, don't worry, all will be OK, so I just agreed and left it at that (if it works, and it ain't broke, just don't fix it or bother)...
And I just thought, why bother having a password or anything else, but hey, cest  le vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment