Things I hate about Windows Printing..

These things seem to happen a lot in my line of work, especially when it comes to some USB, thermal, receipt printers. If you unplug the USB printer, then plug it back into the wrong USB slot, Windows will assume that this is a new printer and give a new Virtual USB Printer Port, which means, the printer will just stop working, until you select the new port or put it back into the existing USB slot...

"Use Printer Offline" - I really don't know what this is about. Say you are printing something, and you run out of paper, the printer sends an error code back to Windows... Windows just selects, "Use Printer Offline", automatically and without even telling you.  You insert a new paper roll, delete all jobs, and the printer still does not work, because "Use Printer Offline" is selected... You delete all print jobs, un-tick the "Use Printer Offline" option, then try again. This time it will work, still, I get very annoyed when it does happen...

Finally, I hate stupid users, I've just had a problem with a printer and I tried to sort that out over the phone, and the user tells me that all is working according to the plan, and that nobody had touched anything or moved anything or changed the settings, it was working one minute, then all hell broke loose, and the printer is not working now, but we he failed to tell me, that when he run out of paper, and instead of just changing the roll, he decided to install 3 more instances of the same printer, using the printer install CD, and he also selected a different printer as the default one.

What a bastard, so I travel the many miles to his shop, remove the other printers, select the correct port and hey presto, all is working once again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment