Oranges are not the only fruit..

Today, once again, it was time for the monthly statements print run. And just when I was about to start, I noticed that I did not have enough paper... So the plan was to drive to town and pick up a couple of paper reams.

The nearest parking space was at the local market. So, I paid the fee and walked to the stationers. I picked the paper and walked back to the car. I had to cut through the market once more to get to the car park...


Me, being just like any other responsible, caring, person - I like to do my bit for the environment. And seeing all that "FRESH", "SHINY", "SPARKLY",  Fruit and Veg, gave me an idea. "Why not buy my Fruit and Veg from here? Instead of the Supermarket, Now!".. That way, I will reduce my Carbon Footprint and help the local economy and ultimately, the environment - Wow, 3 Birds with 1 Stone..

I remembered from before, why I gave up on shopping at the local market, it was because of the amount of waste there was, you buy something "MARKET FRESH" that looks good, and 10 minutes later, by the time you get home, its already off and the only thing you can do is just throw it in the bin. The thing might have been cheaper, but it was always a case of false economy, where nothing lasts longer than 5 minutes.

This time, I decided to go to the most expensive stall, the one that claims to grow everything they sell, including the Bananas. As per usual, the fruit on display was immaculate, and as per usual, you are not allowed to pick your own. I don't mind that, because I hate picking fruit and veg, I really don't know how to pick fruit and veg, and I always end up with Rotten Tomatoes. So, I would rather have someone else do that for me, someone who knows what they are doing, and who is better than Market folk, people who live, eat and breathe Fruit and Veg..

10 Local Jaffa Oranges,
2lb Local South African Apricots,
1lb Local Egyptian Cherries,
2lb Local Tomatoes,
3 Local Cucumbers,
2 Local Pineapples,
2lb Local Bananas,
1 Local Brazilian Watermelon,
1 Yellow Melon,
4 Big Shiny Apples,

I thought because of the amount spent, that they might want to keep me as a customer, and they might just look after me for once, so I paid the money, thanked the vendor and went back home.. And as per usual, I was not disappointed, Market folk did not fail me. Half the fruit was rotten before I even got back home.. And the other, was rotten shortly after...

The moral of the story is this..  Market folk seem to like selling sub-standard fruit and veg, they seem to relish the fact that the stuff is shit, and what they do is put the good stuff at the front for show and give you the bad stuff from the back, and when the stuff at the front is no longer good or shiny, they put it at the back, doing a quick rotation, putting good stuff at the front, to make sure that you get rubbish stuff all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment