In The Hammer We Trust - Part II

To cut a long story short.. The other day, I was expecting a delivery, and as per usual, there was a knock on my front door, I tried to open the offending, internal door, with a mighty pull, however, this time, the door did not open, but the handle came off in my hand.

Now, I was locked inside my house, with the delivery man waiting outside with a parcel... I'm not gonna bore you with the details of how I managed to escape, but it involved climbing and windows, shouting the delivery guy and make him walk in the house and push the door from the other side.. After this episode, I had no choice but to fix my original workmanshit.

So I started by getting new handles and door mechanism from my local DIY store -Get the things back home, and try to fit these... I wish life was straight forward with no problems..

[1] The Door Mechanism was 2.5" long - the new one was 3.5", so I needed to drive back and get the right one, so I did, looking like an idiot in the process.

[2] The Steel Bar (I don`t know the technical terms for that) the one you have between the handles, was too long - I needed to cut it, but I had no means of doing that - so I had to drive back and have it done at the same place, and looking like a bigger idiot in the process..

[3] The Handles needed special drilled holes for fixing, I managed that with a Drill....

[4] The hole in the door for the latch was not deep enough and it needed deepening. I did that with a drill.

After all this hassle, I put the things together, and still, they would not fit properly... So I had to resort to the only tool that could do it all in one - "THE HAMMER" - and like a true professional, I banged everything that did not fit, into place... Perfect, just perfect - who needs any other tool, when you have a "HAMMER" - and now, the door looks shit, but it does open and close better than before... The only problem is, you still have to push and pull to open once again, I hope the handle doesn`t come off in my hand anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment